The New York State Council of probation Administrators (COPA) is a not for profit organization whose membership is composed of Probation Administrators/Deputy Directors within the State of New York.
The Purpose of the Organization is to:
- Promote and advance the mutual interests of its membership.
- Promote cooperation between the State Office of Probation and Correctional Alternatives and local probation Administrators and units in understanding and meeting problems of mutual concern and responsibility.
- Offer consultant and advisory service regarding the fundamental principles and advantages of Probation as a rehabilitative agency and thereby gain the support of public opinion.
- Study the causes of crime and delinquency and suggest plans and remedies for its control and the elimination or prevention.
- Promote the extension, development and adoption of professional standards of Probation throughout the state.
- Promote more effective cooperation between probation officers and other public and private agencies.
- Propose and support legislation that will tend to improve the scope and effectiveness of probation throughout the state.
- Encourage informed publicity regarding the fundamental principles and advantages of Probation as a rehabilitative agency and thereby gain support of public opinion.